Monday, September 17, 2007

goodbye summer 2007




Well, you can feel it in the air, summer 07 has come to an end for Montana. The day's are getting shorter and the cats are already starting their pre-winter gorging of kibble in anticipation of another bitterly cold Montana season. I've been enjoying the feel of Fall at night and with every crisp morning, but I'm still a bit sad to see summer in the rear view mirror getting farther and farther away. I'm almost forgetting about the record breaking heat that Montana endured this year. Soup season is here and I feel like I need to start hunkering down and doing pre-winter chores. Garden hoses still need to be drained and stored in the pumphouse, watering troughs still lacking their heaters, mulching some flowers and pruning and wrapping a few new trees, stuff that is still waiting for some attention before it's to late. This was the first year with no garden and I missed it more than I thought I would. Who ever heard of having to BUY zucchini? I was almost embarrassed to put it in my cart at the IGA. But even more than embarrassed, I was flabbergasted at the cost. It's ZUCCHINI people, not something like saffron or caviar. Freaking zucchini should be close to free and not over a buck and a half a lb. It looks like I'll be having a patch or two next year. It makes me laugh to remember that the only reason everyone used to lock their vehicles at work was to discourage coworkers with gardens from filling them up with their unwanted zucchini in the summer. So with this little rant that I've whined about in mind, here is a simple digital page I created for for my album. Mom, these peas were the best I've ever eaten, and I'll never go to the farmers market again and tell the Hudderites what beautiful beans they have. (just a little inside joke between my Mom and me.)

No comments: