I just hung up from talking on the phone to my mother. We enjoy talking to each other once or twice a week. Sometimes we talk about important things and sometimes we talk about positively silly nothings, just something to laugh about. Kid (grand kid) antics are usually the topic of the day. Mom seems to act like she forgot everything bad that my siblings and I ever did; but I think she just purged them from her memory, in some type of act to save her sanity or in self-preservation. I hope that someday I too, will be able to do this. I guess in the long run the stuff that just drives me crazy about my kids, will not matter anymore than a "gnat's a**." (gnat's a** is not "Grandpa Speak" by any means.) Each day seems to hold bigger challenges than the day before it did; and life has a way of making yesterdays issues much smaller in comparison. My oldest son turns 20 on Easter Sunday. I can still see his chubby little fingers and hear his little voice call me "Mommy." I am having a hard time seeing the man he is becoming. I am always surprised daily (sometimes pleasant and some not) with each new development in our lives. I can see small changes in pieces; but cannot seem to see them as a whole. He is older. He is one year older, than his father was, when I met him. I don't know when my own mother first saw me as an adult; but I'm pretty sure that she now does. I just can't completely imagine seeing my oldest in this light. When will this change? 20 years old! Wow, old enough to go off to war, old enough to be married, old enough to be a father and old enough to vote. Oh well, I think I am having a much harder time with this "age issue," than he is having with it. Just get over it Stephi, he's growing up and getting older, and you need to quit moping ("Grandpa Speak"). Yes, today will be alright, because I still have Easter to look forward to, and I know (even if he says he's to old for it) he will reach for the chocolate bunny that will be waiting for him Sunday morning, unwrap it and then, BITE THE EARS OFF FIRST!
Friday, April 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment