Sunday, August 3, 2008

Montana Ghost town trips

Hi all! I wanted to share some quick pics of a little side trip that Steve and I took this summer. There are lots of places that are nearby to us, that we just need to visit and check off of our mental "need to go see" list, and Elkhorn was one of them. It's just a hop, skip and a jump away from us, but we never took the time to go up and visit. We took this trip in July, and while Will was off on his summer adventure without us. Elkhorn used to be a mining town and closed down due to falling ore prices in the early 1900's. We ran up the hill above the town and checked out the cemetery also and for some reason it's still a shock for me to see so many deaths due to the influenza epidemic in the 1800's. So many sad little markers for infants and young children. One family according to the markers lost 8 children under the age of 10 and then the mother in one week. I'm a pretty tough cookie physically, but that sort of stuff always makes me tear up. Thank goodness we have simple vaccinations for what was such a devastating killer. The pictures aren't that great but this is in no way due to the lacking of beauty in Elkhorn, it's just due to my poor picture taking skills. Elkhorn still has a few residents, I'm not sure of the count, but there were at least 10 modern houses intermingled within the ghost town. We tried to be courteous of the current residents and quietly drove through and stopped and snapped a few pictures. Enjoy, and I hope you all are having a wonderful summer and taking time to enjoy your own backyard a bit.












1 comment:

Stacy said...

Awesome pictures. The graves would have made me teary too!