Belly laughs, lots and lots of belly laughs whenever my sister and I get together on the phone and last night was no exception. Let me give you a little background about my big sis and I. We grew up with two things on our mind. She was devoted to sports and academics and I was devoted to horses and sports. We NEVER spent hours in front of the mirror and the only shoes we cared about were Nike's and Justin Roper boots. Hair, well we just never went there, we had some, so case closed. Makeup? Well, can you say chapstick? Boys? If we were bored enough, but we always had other things to do. Most of our idle time was spent pulling pranks on people, and laughter, lots and lots of laughter with our best friends. Beauty and boys just weren't a priority at the time.
Flash forward about 8 or so years, and my sister gives birth to a girl. We both had one boy each at the time, and we both would each have another one to follow. But in between all of those boy's sweet little Katie slipped in, and my sister's life as she knew it, had ended.
Over the years we have had many laughs over poor little Katie's plight, as she never really got a fair shake at having girly girl relatives. My sister passed on to her a tenacious streak that has served her well on the basketball and volleyball court, but no one passed on one iota of fashion sense. Yet somehow Katie has it. She has an innate sense of fashion and style and it's all her own.
My sister and I are entertained to no end, at all of the plights and perils that seem to come along with being a girly girl, mainly because it's so foreign to us. We get to sit on the sidelines and giggle with each other over every new, and never ending fashion/boy/beauty crisis, that is brewing at any given time. I think I can say that we are honestly mystified and in quite a bit of awe, over the time and effort that goes with everything about being a girly girl.
But then there are those times that silence us. My sister seeing her smart, talented and beautiful daughter emerge from her room wearing the prom dress that she had spent endless hours shopping for, and I when I open my email and find the photos of my talented niece, no longer a toddler or teenager, but that of a young women, minutes away from her senior prom. At times like this, we don't giggle or belly laugh, we only quietly whisper one nearly silent word to ourselves.
Breathtaking. 

Sunday, April 20, 2008
fashion, beauty & style, and it's all her own doing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
What a wonderful story thanks for sharing your memories of her. I had three daughters growing up and none of them are girly girls - just me LOL. I would say "breathtaking" is a good way to describe her.
Loved your blog post and I must say I got teary eyed. Gotta love those girly girls. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous pictures.
She is so beautiful! Amazing!
And on another note, I had no fashion sense but tried. Believe me, you and your sister saved yourselves a whole lot of grief. If it comes naturally to you, go for it, but if fashion is a struggle, step out of the fight as soon as possible!
I don't know how I happened upon your blog...from somewhere on the CK site. At first I was in awe of those gorgeous photos of your niece and her prom date....and then I noticed you are in Montana!!! I am in Missoula! I love finding fellow scrappers in the same state! So....I am sending you a big Missoula hello!
~Lea Lawson
Wow! Your writing is stunning!
Breathtaking was the right word.
Hope you are doing good!!!
what a beauty she is! :)
Love the new header!!!
You have been given an award, go to my blog to see
Drum roll........
Toodles,
Rachel
Post a Comment