Sunday, May 4, 2008

What I do...and you just thought I did nothing! (you'd be partially right, by the way)

Ever wonder what I do, when I go to work? (OK, that is when I'm actually working ;) Well, I'm going to try and show/tell you what I worked on last week. I'm not sure if I'll get these pictures posted right, as you all know I'm pretty limited with my computer experience without my son here to help, and since they (he and dad) are up playing with the bee's and I'm hiding in here, you're stuck with me. Here's the "Saw Whet Owl" I worked on last week, it's a fun carving to do, but easy to lose detail on. It's one of Ken Whites masterpieces.






here's another carving from last week, It's one of Bob Guge's beautiful carvings. It's one of the company's "Ring Neck Pheasants."


The carving above is one of Jeff Fleming's and it's a "Bridger Bear." It's the largest piece the company does right now, and everyone really gets a workout when we do these. They stand 47+ inches high, and it's all solid wood.


From week to week I work on different carvings. Our department gets them from the boy's on the carving machines and at that point it's a rough carved piece with the pin ends still attached. I then get them and I trim the pin ends off with the band saw, sand as much as possible of the piece with a drum sander. Then the fun begins, I use a Foredom to recarve the details back into the carving, and finish sand the carving with a flap sander. I do the same to the heads if they are a 2 piece carving and assemble the head and body together, and If it's a two piece carving, you have to then finish off the joint using the above process again. From this point, they are ready to go to the paint department, and the wonderful artists make their magic happen. I used to use many of the same skills when I worked at the bronze foundry, but it was surprising how much time it took for me to get used to working wood after working on metal only with many of the same tools.


On a side note, my wonderfull Colorado Friend Rachel (aka SunnyinCO) awarded me the

"Girl Power Award." She's a fun gal, and I really need to go bother her for awhile. She has a wicked sense of humor, and I SO love that!





2 comments:

Rachel said...

Wicked you say???? Shhh.... I thought I was playing dumb.


You so deserve this award. Especially after telling us all about this really cool job you have. What beautiful work you do!! Anytime you want to share it just send it my way! You are so creative, keep it up.

Oh, by the way did you ever hear anything about the contest results? I think it is all just a ploy to get us to the website. LOL

(you know I am kidding right? yep, thought you did)


*SunnyNColorado* and Mr.Green signing out.

Stacy said...

I'm in awe! The carvings are beautiful. Congrats on your girl power award!!