Sunday, March 18, 2007

"Grandpa Speak"

Some days I feel so old. It usually happens when I'm trying to use a tech. device and I have to call on my 13 yr old (whose currently banned from tech, due to bad school "marks") for advice. It kills me to have to ask some times. By the way, did you happen to note the word "marks?" I seem to revert to "Grandpa Steve" words when I'm feeling this way. You know them, little ditties like; MARKS, DITTIES, HOODLUMS, DIRTY BIRDS, SHYSTERS, SODA POP etc, etc. I think I'm going to do a page on "Grandpa Speak" the little gems he passed down. If anyone has any to add, email me. I did finally get to scrap yesterday, and did a page I love about my grand-nephew. I have only met him once, and hope to be able to get to know him better, but need to put more effort into it. Some relationships we seem to take for granted, I know my sister, mother, girlfriends etc. that live far away, know me, and we seem to always pick up where we left off, but those family members that I don't have have a history with, are harder. They need to be cultivated. This is where my shyness takes over, I have been since childhood extremely shy, and it doesn't matter whether the person is old, a family member, or someone that you see everyday. If I haven't really gotten to know them, there is always that pit in the stomach feeling, when I know I have to make some sort of contact. My mother and other family members don't seem to have this, Mom could go 20 yrs without seeing some family member, someone I don't even know and if you are going within 900 miles within proximity of them, on a trip perhaps, you know you will hear,"why don't you go by and see, great lost family member John or Jane?" Oh, if she only knew how hard that is. Mommmmmmmm. I do love that about her though. Is this why I scrap? Avoiding the contact, that I wish I had, but am to shy to cultivate? I do find myself scrapping messages to my sons, so that someday, they will know another side of their mother, that I don't show them, or tell them, as often as I should have. Some days you just feel like a warden. Heh, I just spell checked this, and the only word that came up was Mommmmmmm. "Grandpa speak" didn't set the ole spell checker off. Someone must have consulted the older generation for "Grandpa speak" words. Now if they could only have a grammer check? Or do they?

2 comments:

Trina said...

Hey Girl!
I just love your BLOG page. I've never really heard of this before, but I really like it. You are so creative and incredible; I'm always so impressed with your beautiful work. Thanks for inviting me into your BLOG. I'd like to come back... You have some fantastic pictures of the boys too. I miss you and the rest of the family.
Love, Trina

Anonymous said...

Hey Hon, I did make it in. High tech Mom learned something new. I am trying to think of more Granpa words. Love, Mom