Sunday, March 25, 2007

Smokey says "never leave your broccoli unattended in the forest."

Just another beautiful day in Montana. The sun is shining, the meadowlarks are singing, and a warm breeze is in the air. Ok, so it's not your typical spring day in Montana; but it is a typical summer day, just a bit early. Tomorrow it could be 10 degrees and blowing snow sideways.
I pulled out all of my son's summer shorts which I had packed away last year, and lo and behold, (grandpa speak) not one pair fit. Sooooooo, today I go short shopping. Which is always premature in March in Montana. Yet, I am ever hopeful, that the sun will shine warmly all day soon. Looks to be another drought year here. We start irrigating the 10th of April, the last 5 years we have only gotten water 3 x's a summer, and it doesn't look any better this year. I think we need to stop calling it a drought after so many years, and just realize our climate has changed. Older people around here, tell us about how deep the snow used to be, and how much more plentiful it was in years past. The cold hasn't stopped, just the snow. On a lighter note, I keep semi-planning for my "dream vacation." Not a vacation that will be a dream to take, but a vacation that I dream about. It's in New Zealand. I want to go the the north island and tube through the glow worm caves in Maitomo. Then I want to go to the south island to Queenstown and do this great thing called "Fly by Wire" over the valley floor. In my dream, I take my family and talk my mom into going and doing it. She has the time of her life. I also have a clipping of a place in Utah, a formation called the wave. I look at it every time I scrap. I want to go there, where ever there is. Everyone should have a dream vacation. Now for reality vacation. We will probably go to Silverwood this year. Last year we went whitewater rafting in Glacier, and toured Yellowstone in the late summer. Who knows. Plans seem to be fleeting in our lives. My youngest would like to go to summer camp, and it seems there are not many in Montana that are not affiliated with a specific religion or organization. I remember working 2 summers at K-Arrow, and I loved it, the kids really enjoyed themselves. Where have all of the private camps gone? There is a computer camp in WA that he would like to go to, but I guess that everyone needs a dream vacation. Even kids. We did camp last summer and we had a great time with my mother in law. Camping with others is always more fun. You get to share things like huge horsefly attacks and laugh about stupid things like wondering what that horrible smell in the woods is, at least until you look up and realize that it's the smoke coming out of your camper. (never leave a pot of broccoli unattended in the forest.) Maybe reality vacations aren't too bad after all.

No comments: