Saturday, March 31, 2007

Cricket

Have you ever looked back and thought about how certain animals have shaped portions of your life. I have had 3 life changing dogs. The first life changing dog I was around was a little poodle cross named "Cricket." She actually was to be my sisters dog, but "Cricket" quickly became every ones pet. I was able to teach her any trick quickly. She had a vocabulary like no other dog I ever met. It wasn't just the tone or the pitch of your voice either, "Cricket" could decipher anything. We know, my sister and I "tested" her on things and this became part of the fun. Crickets life changing experience came when she was about a year old. The week after we had her fixed, she ran out of the house with me chasing after her, she ran towards a busy boulevard and to my horror dove through a lane of cars and made it safely to the median. I was calling after her the whole time, she finally heard me while she was momentarily safe in the median and then proceeded to try and come back to me. She was hit by a large duel wheeled truck. I thought she was dead. I was shocked to see her roll out and then run towards me. I was able to grab her as she was tossed out from under the truck. I remember running her back to the house and mom driving us a block to the Sorbecks animal hospital. Taking her to the vets was horrible, I had seen what had happened to Cricket and was certain she would have to be put down. The vet told us she probably wouldn't make it, but either I wouldn't accept this and pleaded or my mother begged him to keep trying. I don't know why or how he was able to save her, but we had her apart of our lives for many years to come.( I was to later work for this same vet, and saw the him save many animals that other vets would've given up on. ) Cricket was never the same, she understandably had many mental problems and issues after her near death experience. She was aways a loyal and loving companion, and would entertain family for hours. Her issues became "Quirks" and she added a few more "issues" in for good measure even though she was never hurt again. She became my friend, another child for empty nester parents, and a companion for my aging grandmother. She gave us much more than we ever gave her, no matter how loved and well taken care of she was. She was a companion for my child when I moved back home after a nasty divorce, and I would fall asleep knowing she was curled up on his bed, nestled next to him like she had done for me during my high school years. I had moved on and away when I got the news that Cricket had died. I know that she was old and that she had lived well beyond an average dog age; but still the importance of not having her in my life or my child's anymore was equal to losing a human member of the family. To this day I can still remember her smell as I kissed the top of her head; just as I remember the smell and softness of my sons downy heads when they were babies. I have a small bow that the groomer had put in her hair one time and hang it on a special Christmas tree that holds homemade ornaments from family members. My children tease me about this; but also know how important my little "Cricky reminder" is to me, and even though her name will not be listed on a family tree, they know she was apart of my family. She was very well loved, and I think of her often, and isn't that what every companion lives for. Human or pet?

I still love you Cricket.

No comments: